Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Step 1: I am powerless over Nicotine

I didn't understand this one for a long time. It sounded like an excuse to carry on smoking. Why would I ever want to admit to that? Doesn't saying I'm powerless over something mean that it's going to beat me? How can this possibly be the first step in my road to recovery?

Through my limited experience at The QuitNet I'm noticing that I've read a thousand posts which said:
"Well today I thought I'd have JUST ONE cigarette, then quit again. But then I had more, and before I knew it I was smoking 30 a day again"

And I have NEVER read a post which said:
"Hi all. I've decided I'm going to start smoking again, and I'm consciously deciding to go out and buy a packet and return to my 30 a day habit straight away."

And that's when I got it.

When I say I'm powerless over nicotine, it is NOT a statement about my strength, my willpower, my ability to quit smoking. It is a statement of fact. A very particular truth:

"If I have one cigarette, then I will have more."

As surely as night follows day the "Just One" cigarette leads to "Just Another" leads to "Just this pack" leads to "Just till the end of the week" and so on until my quit has vanished literally in a puff of smoke.

THAT is what is meant by powerlessness.

Fundamental to my quit (and I emphasise, that this is what works for me and each of us has our own way), is the complete acceptance that I am powerless over nicotine because if I smoke once cigarette I will smoke more. It is the cold hard truth that is the foundation of my life of freedom.

Whilst my instinct may be to deny the addict in me, that will only mean that it can sneak off and take control. If I learn to recognise my addict, to understand it, to pay it attention, and ultimately to love it (but NEVER feed it nicotine), then I will surely remain quit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home