Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Yes, Now!

From "Living Enlightenment" by Andrew Cohen:

...Why do I still feel so strongly that I need more time, that I'm not ready to let go yet?

Because the ego always needs more time. The perennial refrain of the ego in the face of the call from the Absolute is, "I'm not ready yet, I need more time." And it always sounds so reasonable- from a relative perspective. But from an absolute perspective there is no time. And the call of the spirit, the call of the True Self - the command to evolve to a higher state of consciousness - comes from that absolute dimension where time does not exist. Once again, the Absolute never hears the ego's pleas. Its ceaseless refrain is: "Every moment that you hesitate, you're keeping yourself from me." Its constant demand is always, "Now!" and the ego insists, yet again, "no, I'm not ready." This is the spiritual drama that has played itself out between man and God for thousands of years - between the individual sense of self and the call of the Absolute. The whole point of spiritual life is to surrender unconditionally to that call, and that means the end of time - the end of your time. This is what the spiritual drama is all about - the dynamic tension between the ego's endless excuses and the call for unconditional submission from the Absolute.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home